Sunday 27 May 2007

Blackmagic codec and Shake problem..

Actually thinking about this.. it's gonna be a pain in the ass. I can't ingest uncompressed SD/HD whatever.. and just drop it into Shake. Stupid coloured pixels dancing on the left.. known issue apparently according to Luke @ Blackmagic. So Shake being no longer developed I have my doubts about this being fixed soon.

So I need to export as something Shake is cool with.

Say I capture 10bit uncompressed Blackmagic. Exporting from within FCP screws it somehow..looks ok.. but, shows up when trying to key greenscreen as heavy stepping appears. Looks the same as a big post house sent us an uncompresed 10bit quicktime. (well a few actually)Looks like a few people are getting caught out.

Quicktime export.. nope, docs say don't export anything above 8bit. Really? yuv or RGB? sigh...

So, am I gonna have to buy AfterEffects just to do this?

Can I just delete the Blackmagic codec? I mean why does it replace Apples? uncompressed is uncompressed no??

Install AJA codecs? :-/

Always something...

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

What your seeing is simply the half resolution of the chroma due to 4:2:2 sampling. In my experience, different versions of the Blackmagic codec over time have decoded this differently. Some have smoothed the chroma when decoding to RGB 4:4:4 for Shake, others haven't.

You can do the smoothing in Shake yourself by converting to YUV, applying a slight blur to the U and V channels, then converting back to RGB. There are also several macros out there which do a more sophisticated version of this. I use 4:x:x Enhancer which can be downloaded from fxshare.com.

I have also sometimes had Blackmagic uncompressed media simply not show up in Shake. When this happens, I use Blackmagic Framelink to convert the Quicktime media into a DPX sequence.

Nick Shaw

Space|Simon said...

Not clear on this one Nick. As I recaptured using BM 10 bit uncompressed 4:2:2 and the key was fine. No stepping at 4:2:2. Never seen this happen before working of digi-beta. It happens when exporting via fcp or QT. Maybe the downsample to 8bit screws it.

So from what you say maybe the post house had captured 10bit uncompressed but with an older version?

The other mac pro did the same and has no blackmagic codecs on. As the clips were sent apple uncompressed not bm to begin with.

cheers
s